Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Right now

If I get sued for copyright infringement, so be it. I laughed out loud and am nearly bursting to share this with you because it's all so true right now. Especially the snack part. I have taken both to feeding Kaeleigh chocolate (!) so that I can have some during the hours of 5am and 8pm, or when I'm feeling particularly like eating without sharing, I'll sneak candy in another room or behind the buddy bar. So mature. :)

from Catherine Newman's blog (love, love, love her):

"It's not that I take my maternal duties lightly. I am not one of those parents who birthed a cluster of kids and then was all "What the...?" when they turned out to require my care and attention (okay, occasionally I am like, "What the...?"). They're not trying to irritate us, the children, what with their incessant hunger and colds and fecal emergencies — they are simply incapable of taking care of themselves, and I understand this. I love caring for them, overall. I enjoy waking up with them and lathering their fragrant hair and teaching them how to fill a dumpling wrapper and the bird feeder and putting them to sleep with a kiss. I think, in fact, that I am in love with caring for them. Or maybe I'm just in love with them. Either way, it's hard to explain these very occasional moments where I am suddenly pricked all over with the Scroogey prongs of miserly resentment. Like when Birdy spies me grabbing a quick bite of, say, peanut butter spread on a cracker — I mean, she could be pumping her legs on a swing two counties away and her internal "Mama's eating her own private snack" siren would blare — and she beetles over to ask politely, "Oooh, can I have a taste of that?" And of course she can, but I might hold it out towards her with a small, grudging sigh that means, "I daily prepare and feed you twenty trillion meals and still you need a bite of my one cracker the size of a poker chip?""

Another recent pic (Kaeleigh likes being semi-upside down, and recently added that to eating, too):

No comments: