Thursday, August 2, 2007

China

I'm really fuming about this recent toy recall.

I'd consider us moderates as far as the whole organic/natural thing goes. Since we live on one income we can't buy everything I'd like to as far as that goes, but we do try to buy organic hamburger (I've long been freaked out about mad cow though I do finally eat fast food hamburgers LOL), milk, natural cleaning wipes, etc. But we're also about convenience and cost, especially with a new baby of course.

But with this big toy recall (which thankfully doesn't affect us because of the girls' ages) I'm seriously considering going all commando on organic/natural things and especially on not buying a DARN THING that's made in China. The news reported tonight that 26 toys (not including the 83 in this one) have been recalled since the beginning of the year, all made in China and all for lead paint. I honestly haven't heard of all of those, but that's what it said. And then of course is the dog food business and something else that happened recently regarding China that I can't recall.

I'm angry that this happens, and I'm angry that I will have to pay more/not get toys my kids want/have another freakin' thing to worry about as a mom because people can't keep lead out of toys. Hello?!? Of course, we're talking about little kids here who not only put things in their mouths, but are more affected by lead levels than, say, we would be.

Ironically enough, I saw a lady on the Today Show last week who'd written a book about not buying anything from China for a year. I didn't pay a ton of attention, but I do recall her saying that the hardest thing had been the toy issue because it was really challenging to find things not made there. I'm going to look up the book.

In the event that any of you want to buy something for the girls, please make sure it's not made in China. I have a feeling none of us will be buying them much in the toy department with that caveat. :) I'll be checking out a local educational store soon to see if I have any more luck there.