My little girl just left for 3rd grade. Maybe I should say "my big girl" in the interest of keeping the girls straight, but really she's still my little girl regardless.
Ah, the best laid plans.....
As is often the case when it's time to take or pick up from school :), Kaeleigh's sleep (ie crabbiness and crisis preventer) time came smack dab in the middle of when we needed to be loading up in the car. She'd only been asleep 20 minutes when it was time to go. So I talked to Skylar about her options for the morning: we could absolutely all go together like normal to take her to school, though we'd probably have a fussy babe going with us. Or Dad could take her since I took her yesterday to meet her teacher and drop off her supplies. I would still go down and take her picture in front of the car like we do every year on the first day. She said that the second option was fine, and I searched her face to make sure. She doesn't tend to "lie" to give me the answer she thinks I want, but there's always a first time. She really seemed okay with it. In fact, when I told Michael about our discussion, I heard her asking him, "Is that okay, Dad?" with genuine concern. :)
So she has on her new jeans, new Hello Kitty brown t-shirt, new LAGear (I know!) tennis shoes. Her new High School Musical backpack (Michael asked "Does she really need a new backpack every year?" You mean even though the other one looks barely used? Yep.), her new Tinkerbell lunch box. She's all gooped up with sunscreen on her face, even though it's cloudy at the moment. It's amazing how the weather does a 180 when September 1st gets here. It's like our state just KNOWS it's fall now. Anyways, I digress. She's got her sunscreen, her lip balm (for chapping concerns, not goopy lip concerns), and some glittery hand lotion that Grandma Patton bought for her years ago and we try to remember before school to make her feel fancy.
I felt a little left out when she and Dad left....but I'm trying not to. This is life--two babies that sometimes require Michael and I to divide and conquer. And I think I did enough to be part of the morning--I made breakfast, took lots of pictures, helped get her all gooped.
Can you believe she's starting 3rd grade?!?