Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Blog is Born

I'm excited, but also nervous, about starting this. For one thing, I'm not sure how much time I'll have to devote to it. My sister Anjanette's blog is my only inspiration and reference for this process, and I already know that I won't have that much text or thought as most of my typing takes place one-handed. There's also the vulnerability factor, of course.

My original intention for this blog was to have a place to record our little day-to-days to share them with friends and family who care enough to check up on us, and at the same time I'll be recording the little details that I want to record for our own sake. Now that I've created this, I find myself thinking of things I'd like to journal, too, and I'm still undecided if I'll do that.

One thing I'll do is use this as a tool to create a list for Anjanette (she's having a BABY!!!! :)) of tips that come to mind. It'll save me time and be easier for me than digging through old sent emails to see what I've already told her about, so for those of you who aren't pregnant (all of you besides Anjanette LOL) just pass that by.

Hey--it's my birthday tomorrow! I'm going to be 27 years old. Wow. That's a little too close to 30 for my liking. And I don't feel 27. I think part of my "hang-up" with this age is I remember my mom getting re-married and her to-be husband was 27. Somehow that fact bothers me.....I guess that I'm as old as something that my mom did.....if that makes sense. It doesn't really, but I don't know how else to explain it.

Back to my birthday....we usually go berry-picking on my birthday which I absolutely love. However, I realized on a recent long walk around town with the fam that there's no way to keep Kaeleigh out of the sun if we're outside. She's too young for sunscreen (well, they're now saying it's probably okay for babies under 6 mths to wear sunscreen but it didn't used to be and I'm not comfortable with it) and a hat doesn't help much with her arms and legs. And our berry picking doesn't lend itself to her being in a stroller and covered up that way. After lots of thinking (and some bouts of being frustrated) I've realized that aside from having a perfect day (which isn't possible) what I really want is time for my birthday. Time, time, time--how I appreciate it now. I want time to check my email, look at my favorite websites, watch scrapbooking ideas on QVC (have it on in the background right now), work on scrapbook pages, print pictures, work on my memory journal, read my book and magazines. I don't plan to get all of that done tomorrow, but a few things will be great. Michael took the day off as he always does for our family birthdays so it'll be nice to be all together, and also for me to have some baby help an extra day.

Can you tell that I'm not typing one-handed at the moment? :) Michael is holding sleeping Kaeleigh and taking an after-work snooze, too.

Now on to the kids....
Both of the girls have literally grown overnight in the past weeks. A few weeks ago Michael and I both noticed that Skylar has changed. Her arms and legs and face are so much longer. She looks older and is definitely taller. Then this morning I woke up (I say the waking up part figuratively since much of my night was up with Kaeleigh since it was my night :)) and Kaeleigh was bigger. Really. Her face is bigger and chunkier and she looks like she's grown all around.

Skylar starts Vacation Bible School on Monday, and I hope that goes well. It'll be a nice break for her I think to get out of the house and play with some kids. I'm not looking forward to having to be there for drop-off and pick-up because getting Kaeleigh out of the house at certain times inevitably interferes with nap and/or eating and I have a fussy baby on my hands. Oh well. What can ya do?

And now on to Baby Tips:

-Bibs are great for wearing when they're eating. It keeps you from going through onesies because you just wash the bibs instead. Granted, if you're breast-feeding it won't be as necessary but you may pump and use bottles.
-Do not buy bibs that button. It's nearly impossible to see, find and fasten snaps behind the babies head when you absolutely can't see back there and they're usually mad by the time you're trying to do the bib and time is of the essence. Velcro all the way.
-For that matter, avoid snaps and buttons at all costs. Having a few snaps up by the neck is okay, but I've seen so many baby outfits with buttons up the back or snaps. What are they thinking?! The only way to do those is to put the baby on their face and manhandle them, and they certainly don't like that. We don't even like sleepers that have the snaps all up and down the legs because when you're changing a diaper at least every hour, you get awfully sick of un-doing and re-doing 10+ snaps every single time. Ugh. We're a family of onesies all the way--and that works well especially when they come as cute outfits and all different styles.
-Buy all the baby care items you could possibly need ahead of time. You won't want to send one of you to the store when you're both worried, or take a sick baby to the store.
You'll need:
~Saline nasal drops (Little Tummy's is a good brand) that you'll spray up their nose to help get the boogers out of they have a cold.
~A nose suction thing for the same purpose.
~Baby Tylenol.
~A new (or a specially designated if you have two already) digital thermometer that you can use rectally.
~Vaseline to use with the thermometer
~Gas drops for when they're fussy and acting like their tummy hurts and nothing else is working.
~Baby Orajel and teethers. You generally aren't supposed to need these for a while (and I still haven't needed to use the Orajel) but I made my own late night run for these when Kaeleigh started teething at 1 1/2 mths.

-Parent's magazine is my absolute favorite magazine. I love it as much for Kaeleigh as I have for Skylar, and I've gotten it since Skylar was born and it's still relevant for her at almost 8. Plus it's such a good buy--only about 50 cents per issue when you get a subscription. Note to Anjanette: Unless you're already getting it, I'm getting you a subscription. Parenting magazine is great, too, but pricier so I read it from the library.





And that's a lengthy post. :) We're off to Old Navy because we have a coupon that expires today and then to Safeway for some grocery shopping. "Talk" to you soon! (hopefully!)